New visiting and instructional faculty
The Department is pleased to announce two new members: Roger Eastman will be a Visiting Professor, and Ilchun Yoon will be joining the faculty as a lecturer Both will be teaching undergraduate courses during the upcoming Fall Semester.
Professor Roger Eastman currently serves as a Professor of Computer Science at Loyola University, Maryland. Eastman earned his doctorate in computer science from the University of Maryland in 1990; his advisor was Professor Larry Davis.
His research interests include:
- Image registration, the alignment of digital images taken in various applications, notably Earth satellite imagery supported by research grants from NASA, more recently with a group at NIST into 3D imaging sensors and their applications in manufacturing and mobile robotics.
- Computing and the arts
Eastman has also coedited a book on Image Registration for Remote Sensing published by Cambridge University.
Image Registration for Remote Sensing. Edited by Jacqueline Le Moigne, Nathan S. Netanyahu, and Roger D. Eastman. Cambridge University Press, October 2010.
Dr. Ilchul Yoon has served as a Research Assistant Professor at the Department of Computer Science SUNY Korea. He earned his doctorate in computer science from the University of Maryland in 2010; his advisor was Professor Alan Sussman. Yoon's interests include Software Engineering (Software Testing, Software Process); Distributed High-Performance Computing; Computer Architecture
Yoon has also won the Korea New Investigator Award in 2013 and the Faculty Service Award for outstanding service to the department of Computer Science in 2014. He also received the Outstanding Contribution Award from Digital Living Network Alliance for his contribution to propagate the DLNA technologies to Korean DLNA community.
Here is a brief list of his recent accomplishments:
- A paper "Analysis of Multi-Agent Systems Meta Modeling Approaches for System-of-Systems Modeling" will be presented at 2016 Winter Conference of Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers (KIISE), Dec 2016.
- Taught CSE502 (Computer Architecture), CSE220 (Systems Fundamentals I), andCSE657 (Seminar in Software Design and Analysis) in Fall 2016.
- Co-taught CSE516/EST516 (Science for Society I) in Fall 2016.
- Taught CSE592 (Advanced Topics in Computer Science - Software Testing) and CSE657 (Seminar in Software Design and Analysis) in Spring 2016.
- Co-taught CSE595/EMP572 (Special Topics in Convergence Research) in Spring 2016. The subtitle for the semester is "Sustainable Energy - Policies and Technologies".
- A paper "Coordinated Collaborative Testing of Shared Software Components" was presented at IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST) in Apr. 2016.
- Served as a committee member of Korea Conference on Software Engineering (KCSE), Jan. 2016.
- A paper "Pair-wise Component Compatibility Testing" was presented at Korea Conference on Software Engineering (KCSE), Jan. 2016.
- A Korean patent "Method for Providing Adaptive Streaming" is registered (#10-1590707), Jan. 2016
The Department welcomes comments, suggestions and corrections. Send email to editor [at] cs [dot] umd [dot] edu.